Tuesday, February 22, 2011

An Essay on the Essay

This 2002 Poets&Writers essay on the essay form by a Lousiana journalist named Michael Depp isn't particularly exciting, but it's a solid analysis of what the essay is with quotes by some major current essayists.

Here's an excerpt that pretty much nails it:

So what occasions the essay? If a writer has no surefire argument to make, no point to sway the reader toward, why flaunt personal vacillations in print? Why not leave the questions and doubts to the rough draft rather than give them life?

For Richard Rodriguez, the attraction is the essay's public rehearsal of ideas. . . . "For me, the drama of the essay is the way the public life intersects with my personal and private life."

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the grammar lesson. I read your blog article and it makes perfect sense. Again, thank you for the clarification. I would this Great post full of wise advice for innovative and seasoned bloggers! Been years since I let my Writers Digest subscription go – but this post has not only inspired me to join the Writers Digest community again – but to treat myself to a contribution! Look forward to reading more from you. To Larne more, another awesome site is here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Universities, colleges and individual tutors will tend to have their own preferences and so it's important to make sure you know the right formula for your course. cheap essay writing service

    ReplyDelete